Sunday, April 15, 2007

Welcome!

From May until August of this year I will be living and working in Northern Malawi as part of the Junior Fellowship in International Development Program (JFID) offered with Engineers Without Borders (EWB). In the world of development anacronyms are pretty commonplace, so I'll try and make sure I use the extended versions at least the first time round, but it its ever unclear as to what the heck I'm talking about, let me know and I'll elaborate.

I have started this blog to share these experiences with you, so please feel free to post any comments or questions, or to email me at marika_marty@hotmail.com. I'm not sure what kind of access I will have to internet over the course of the summer, but I will update my blog as much as possible and reply to any responses as soon as I can.

To the side I've posted some links you can check out, as well as links to other EWB volunteers' blogs.
Enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Another blog! I look forward to reading :)

Good luck & take care!

-Pencilla

Anonymous said...

cool

Unknown said...

You're doing something that'll make a big difference to many people. That's amazing, I hope you have a great time.

Luke Brown said...

Marika! I still recommend you jump ship and head up to Ghana. But, barring that, I guess you'll have to make do with Team Southern Africa. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika
It was a pleasure having you as a student and I will always have good memories of us working together.I know you will do well in your adventures, you know your a bit of a "spit fire"in your personnality but that's why you do what you do and it suites you.Take care and keep in touch.

Colleen said...

Marika!!
Oh, I'm going to miss you!! I know you're going to have an amazing time there, and I can't wait to read all about it. Post often, and I'll reply to make you feel loved and fill you in on life back here.
:D

Shyam said...

Marika, you're an awesome, amazing person and I know you are going to leave your mark in Malawi this summer! I'm so proud of you!

Have a great EWB summer!

Trevor said...

Marika!!!

Don't listen to a word Luke says, you're on the right team, the best team! Southern Africa is where it's at! (Well, it's where I'm at anyway). I'm super pumped that you're coming here, even though I likely won't see you at all (pesky Zambia/Malawi border!) I know you'll have an incredible experience, and you'll learn tons, and take it all back to your chapter where you'll rock it out hardcore! I hope that training is super intense and leaves you no time for sleep, just learning learning learning for 7 straight days!! You can sleep on the plane!

Team Wester and Team Marika's #1 fan!!

Trevor

Anonymous said...

hey miss me yet hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Marika this is all so exciting! It sounds like you are really taking advantage of every opportunity in experience and learning. You are making our chapter proud :)
I'm glad you seem to have settled in and i look forward to reading your next blog!!!
I hope all is well and good luck with your work!